Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) isolated from dental tissues have also been studied extensively recently due to their relatively easy availability. The researchers have been working on improving a method for regenerating alveolar bone in patients with cleft lip and palate utilizing mesenchymal stem cells isolated from human bone marrow (hBMSCs). A systematic literature review from 2010 to 2022 was performed using PubMed, Medline, and ScienceDirect databases. The keywords used were "cleft lip," "cleft palate," "and stem cells," and "alveolar reconstruction." In addition, the PRISMA flowchart was used to describe the selection process of searched articles. A total of 9 studies were included in this systematic review, out of which the majority revealed successful treatment of cleft lip and palate using various kinds of stem cells. Although various types of stem cells have shown encouraging outcomes regarding bone regeneration and the treatment of cleft lip and palate, the most effective was mesenchymal stem cells, followed by adipose stem cells.
1. Lee HS, Jeon MJ, Kim SO, Kim SH, Lee JH, Ahn SJ, et al. Characteristics of stem cells from human exfoliated deciduous teeth (SHED) from intact cryopreserved deciduous teeth. Cryobiology. 2015;71(3):374-83.
2. Farsi NM, El Ashiry EA, Abdrabuh RE, Bastawi HA, El Meligy OA. Effect of different pulp capping materials on proliferation and odontogenic differentiation of human dental pulp mesenchymal stem cells. Int J Pharm Res Allied Sci. 2018;7(3):209-3.
3. Behnia H, Khojasteh A, Soleimani M, Tehranchi A, Atashi A. Repair of alveolar cleft defect with mesenchymal stem cells and platelet-derived growth factors: a preliminary report. J Cranio-Maxillofac Surg. 2012;40(1):2-7.
4. Wang X, Sha XJ, Li GH, Yang FS, Ji K, Wen LY, et al. Comparative characterization of stem cells from human exfoliated deciduous teeth and dental pulp stem cells. Arch oral biol. 2012;57(9):1231-40.
5. Alamoudi NM, El-Ashiry EA, Allarakia RM, Bayoumi AM, El Meligy OA. Adipose Tissue and Bone Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells Role in Regeneration of Cleft Alveolus in Dogs. Int J Pharm Res Allied Sci. 2019;8(1):146-57.
6. Blanpain C, Fuchs E. Plasticity of epithelial stem cells in tissue regeneration. Science. 2014;344(6189):1242281.
7. Rishika, Garg N, Lumbini P, Yeluri R. Enamel Regeneration without the Use of Stem Cells? Ann Dent Spec. 2017;5(3):126-7.
8. Higuchi A, Kumar SS, Benelli G, Alarfaj AA, Munusamy MA, Umezawa A, et al. Stem cell therapies for reversing vision loss. Trends Biotechnol. 2017;35(11):1102-17.
9. Riazifar M, Pone EJ, Lötvall J, Zhao W. Stem cell extracellular vesicles: extended messages of regeneration. Ann Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2017;57:125.
10. Alamoudi N, Reem A, El-Ashiry E. Bone marrow and adipose tissue derived mesenchymal stem cells in regeneration of cleft lip and alveolus: a review literature. J Oral Hyg Health. 2017;5:1.
11. Stepanova YV, Tsyplakova MS, Usoltseva AS, Enukashvili NI, Bagaeva VV, Semyonov MG, et al. The use of cellular technologies in the treatment of children with congenital cleft palate. Pediatric Traumatol Orthop Reconstr Sur. 2017;5(4):31-7.
12. Tanikawa D, Pinheiro CC, Almeida MC, Oliveira CR, Coudry RD, Rocha DL, et al. Deciduous dental pulp stem cells for maxillary alveolar reconstruction in cleft lip and palate patients. Stem Cells Int. 2020;2020.
13. Vatankhah M. The Effect of Mesenchymal Stem Cells of Umbilical Cord on the Treatment of Cleft Palate in Children. Cell Bio. 2018;7(4):63-7.
14. Toyota A, Shinagawa R, Mano M, Tokioka K, Suda N. Regeneration in experimental alveolar bone defect using human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells. Cell Transplant. 2021;30:0963689720975391.
15. Martín-del-Campo M, Rosales-Ibañez R, Rojo L. Biomaterials for cleft lip and palate regeneration. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20(9):2176.
16. Bueno DF, Sunaga DY, Kobayashi GS, Aguena M, Raposo-Amaral CE, Masotti C, et al. Human stem cell cultures from cleft lip/palate patients show enrichment of transcripts involved in extracellular matrix modeling by comparison to controls. Stem Cell Rev Rep. 2011;7(2):446-57.
17. Arango H, Elneser N, Pineda S, Ayala-Gómez A, Castro-Núñez J. The use of stem cells in cleft lip surgery. Arango H, Elneser N, Pineda S, Ayala-Gómez A, Castro-Núñez J: The use of stem cells in cleft lip surgery. J Head Neck Phys Surg. 2014;2(1):10-7.
18. Schreurs M, Suttorp CM, Mutsaers HA, Kuijpers‐Jagtman AM, Von den Hoff JW, Ongkosuwito EM, et al. Tissue engineering strategies combining molecular targets against inflammation and fibrosis, and umbilical cord blood stem cells to improve hampered muscle and skin regeneration following cleft repair. Med Res Rev. 2020;40(1):9-26.
19. Reich CM, Raabe O, Wenisch S, Bridger PS, Kramer M, Arnhold S. Isolation, culture and chondrogenic differentiation of canine adipose tissue-and bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells–a comparative study. Vet Res Commun. 2012;36(2):139-48.
20. Tavakolinejad S, Bidskan AE, Ashraf H, Alamdari DH. A glance at methods for cleft palate repair. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2014;16(9).
21. Bajestan MN, Rajan A, Edwards SP, Aronovich S, Cevidanes LH, Polymeri A, et al. Stem cell therapy for reconstruction of alveolar cleft and trauma defects in adults: a randomized controlled, clinical trial. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2017;19(5):793-801.
22. Bronckaers A, Hilkens P, Fanton Y, Struys T, Gervois P, Politis C, et al. Angiogenic properties of human dental pulp stem cells. PloS one. 2013;8(8):e71104.
23. Vatankhah M. The Effect of Mesenchymal Stem Cells of Umbilical Cord on the Treatment of Cleft Palate in Children. CellBio. 2018;7(4):63-7.
24. Janssen NG, De Ruiter AP, Van Hout WM, Van Miegem V, Gawlitta D, Groot FB, et al. Microstructured β-tricalcium phosphate putty versus autologous bone for repair of alveolar clefts in a goat model. Cleft Palate-Craniofac J. 2017;54(6):699-706.
25. Korn P, Hauptstock M, Range U, Kunert-Keil C, Pradel W, Lauer G, et al. Application of tissue-engineered bone grafts for alveolar cleft osteoplasty in a rodent model. Clin Oral Investig. 2017;21(8):2521-34.
26. Zhao YH, Zhang M, Liu NX, Lv X, Zhang J, Chen FM, et al. The combined use of cell sheet fragments of periodontal ligament stem cells and platelet-rich fibrin granules for avulsed tooth reimplantation. Biomaterials. 2013;34(22):5506-20.
27. Sunil PM, Manikandhan R, Muthu MS, Abraham S. Stem cell therapy in oral and maxillofacial region: An overview. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol. 2012;16(1):58.
28. Dong C, Zheng S. Immunohistochemical analysis of orbicularis oris muscle fiber distribution at the philtrum in healthy infants. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2015;79(12):2208-12.
Copyright © 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Archives of Pharmacy Practice
Developed by Archives of Pharmacy Practice