A person's body weight, height, and age influence the size of their abdominal organs. Ultrasound imaging is a noninvasive, radiation-free, fast, low-cost method of evaluating the urinary system and measuring different abdominal organs. The purpose of this study was to correlate body measurements with renal and splenic measurements. A total of 94 university students from both genders were studied by the radiology department at the University of Hail between September 2017 and December 2019. An ultrasonographic scan was performed on all subjects to measure the kidney and spleen length. The respondents were recorded by age, sex, weight, and height. The left kidney is particularly affected by body height and renal length. It was not found that gender and renal length are significantly correlated. Our study revealed no significant relationship between BMI and renal length. A correlation exists between splenomegaly and renal length. Several previous studies have found a strong correlation between body height and renal length. In addition, there was a positive correlation between splenic size and height, as well as between mildly enlarged spleens and top normal left kidney sizes. Neither gender nor BMI had a remarkable correlation with renal length in our study. More studies regarding this area are recommended and will be valuable.
1. Umeh E, Adeniji-sofoluwe AT, Adekanmi AJ, Atalabi OM. Normal Sonographic Dimensions for Liver, Spleen and Kidneys in healthy South West Nigerian Children-A pilot study. West Afr J Ultrasound. 2015;161-7.
2. Ibrahim S, Ahmed SA, Ahmed SM, Ahmed SK. Does Weight Machines protocol Actuate contradistinction on Strength Variables among BMI categories of Male College Students? Int J Pharm Res Allied Sci. 2021;10(3):20-4.
3. Busman IH, Gemiralda RM. Antiestrogenic Potential of Turmeric Rhizomes Extract to Decrease Weight and Uterine Diameters on Rats. Int J Pharm Res Allied Sci. 2021;10(1):88-92.
4. Ibrahim S, Kumar R, Ahmed SA. Influence of 6-Week Pooled Soccer Plyometric and Sprint Training on Speed and Agility amongst Underweight. Entomol Appl Sci Lett. 2021;8(1):28-34.
5. Gul S, Itoo MS, Jahangir M, Kamal Y. Sonologic assessment of dimensions of spleen in normal adult Kashmiri population and their correlation with weight and height. Int J Contemp Med Res. 2018;5(2):1-4.
6. Ryan S, McNicholas M, Eustace S. Anatomy for Diagnostic Imaging. 3rd Editio. Elsevier; 2010. pp. 192-3.
7. Bates JA. Abdominal Ultrasound how, why and when. second. churchill livingstone; 2004. pp. 153-94.
8. Maaji SM, Daniel O, Adamu B. Sonographic measurement of renal dimensions of adults in northwestern Nigeria: a preliminary report. S-S Afr J Med. 2015;2(3):123-7.
9. Mohtasib RS, Alshamiri KM, Jobeir AA, Saidi FMA, Masawi AM, Alabdulaziz LS, et al. Sonographic measurements for kidney length in normal Saudi children: Correlation with other body parameters. Ann Saudi Med. 2019;39(3):143-54.
10. Tekle Y, Hiware SD, Abreha M, Muche A, Ansari AK, Mohammed H. The Observational Study of Sonographic Measurement of Splenic Dimensions and Correlation with Body Mass Index. Asian J Med Res. 2018;7(4):3.
11. Alaki SM, Bagher SM. Mothers’ Awareness of their Children’s Dental Status: A Study among a Group of Mothers of Children Diagnosed with Early Childhood Caries. JKAU Med Sci. 2013;20(1):65-79.
12. Platts MM, Anastassiades E, Sheriff S, Smith S, Bartolo DC. Spleen size in chronic renal failure. BMJ. 1984;289(6456):1415-8.
13. Rongviriyapanich C, Sakunchit T, Sudla C, Mungkung S, Pongnapang N, Yeong CH. Sonographic renal length and volume of normal Thai children versus their Chinese and Western counterparts. Clin Exp Pediatr. 2020;63(12):491-8.
14. Saeed Z, Mirza W, Sayani R, Sheikh A, Yazdani I, Hussain SA. Sonographic measurement of renal dimensions in adults and its correlates. Int J Collab Res Intern Med Public Heal. 2012;4(9):1626-41.
15. Purohit K, Purohit A, Satpathy G. Measurement of Normal Kidney Length By Sonography and Its Relation To Age, Sex, and Body Habitus. Int J Anat Res. 2017;5(4.3):4668-73.
16. Emamian SA, Nielsen MB, Pedersen JF, Ytte L. Kidney dimensions at sonography: Correlation with age, sex, and habitus in 665 adult volunteers. Am J Roentgenol. 1993;160(1):83-6.
17. Çeliktas M, Özandaç S, Göker P, Bozkir MG. Sonographic Determination of Normal Spleen Size in Turkish Adults. Int J Morphol. 2015;33(4):1401-5.
18. Chakraborti S, Saha N, Debbarma B, Das S, Leishram D. Normal Spleen Length by Ultrasonography in Adults of Tripura. IOSR J Dent Med Sci. 2016;15(1):55-60.
19. Tekle Y, Dadarao Hiware S, Abreha M, Muche A, Ambaw M, Tegegne Z. Determination of normal dimension of the spleen by ultrasound and its correlation with age. Asian J Med Res. 2018;4(4):AT08-11.
20. Yousaf A, John A, Ali A, Noor M. Sonographic Assessment of Spleen to Left Kidney Ratio among School Going Children Ranging in Age from 8 to 15 years: Sonographic Assessment of Spleen to Left Kidney. Pak BioMed J. 2022:51-4.