The objective of this Integrative Literature Review (ILR) is to consider the knowledge on injurious possessions of smoking amongst Saudi general population. Integrative Literature Review (ILR). The search databases for the publications used in the study are PubMed and EBSCO Information Services. Topics concerning knowledge on harmful effects of smoking among Saudi general population were used in the making of the article. No software was exploited for data analysis. The majority of Saudis are aware of the health risks associated with smoking and have seen or read the warnings on cigarette packages. Smokers were unaffected by the influence of cigarette health warnings in terms of quitting. To develop tobacco-free future generations, mass awareness campaigns against tobacco, tobacco control, and cessation measures can be implemented. Many efforts are required from health policymakers and healthcare specialists to distribute info around the dangers of smoking and the health benefits of quitting. This emphasizes the significance of educating the public about pertinent information in order to encourage positive attitudes and encourage healthy behaviors. In conclusion, this research may provide a starting point for understanding how knowledge about tobacco use can promote smoking cessation behaviors. This study emphasizes the necessity for behavior modification tactics that encourage people to adopt healthier habits and has significant ramifications for public healthcare plans while maintaining an optimistic attitude.
1. Wang R, Jiang Y, Yao C, Zhu M, Zhao Q, Huang L, et al. Prevalence of tobacco related chronic diseases and its role in smoking cessation among smokers in a rural area of Shanghai, China: a cross sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2019;19(1):1-0. doi:10.1186/s12889-019-7110-9
2. Ashraf Nazir M, Almas K. Awareness about the effects of tobacco consumption on oral health and the possibility of smoking behavior among male Saudi schoolchildren. Eur J Dent. 2017;11(1):29-35. doi:10.4103/ejd.ejd30016
3. World Health Organization. Prevalence of tobacco smoking. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2015. Available from: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/156262/1/9789241564922_eng.pdf . [Google Scholar]
4. O'Connor R, Schneller LM, Felicione NJ, Talhout R, Goniewicz ML, Ashley DL. Evolution of tobacco products: recent history and future directions. Tob Control. 2022;31(2):175-82.
5. Moradi-Lakeh M, El Bcheraoui C, Tuffaha M, Daoud F, Al Saeedi M, Basulaiman M, et al. Tobacco consumption in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 2013: findings from a national survey. BMC Public Health. 2015;15(1):611.
6. Moradi-Lakeh M, El Bcheraoui C, Daoud F, Tuffaha M, Kravitz H, Al Saeedi M, et al. Prevalence of asthma in Saudi adults: findings from a national household survey, 2013. BMC Pulm Med. 2015;15(1):1-7.
7. World Health Organization WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic, 2017: monitoring tobacco use and prevention policies: executive summary. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2017. Available from: https://www.who.int/tobacco/global_report/2017/en/
8. Alasqah I, Mahmud I, East L, Usher K. A systematic review of the prevalence and risk factors of smoking among Saudi adolescents. Saudi Med J. 2019;40(9):867-78. doi:10.15537/smj.2019.9.24477
9. World Health Organization. Tobacco Free Initiative (TFI). Tobacco Control Economics. [Last cited on 2016 Sep 12]. Available from: http://www.who.int/tobacco/economics/en/
10. Csikar J, Kang J, Wyborn C, Dyer TA, Marshman Z, Godson J. The self-reported oral health status and dental attendance of smokers and non-smokers in England. PLoS One. 2016;11(2):e0148700.
11. World Health Organization. WHO Global Report on Trends in Tobacco Smoking 2000-2025. [Last cited on 2016 Sep 12]. Available from: http://www.who.int/tobacco/publications/surveillance/reportontrendstobaccosmoking/en/
12. Rentería E, Jha P, Forman D, Soerjomataram I. The impact of cigarette smoking on life expectancy between 1980 and 2010: A global perspective. Tob Control. 2016;25(5):551-7.
13. Makrynioti D, Zagoriti Z, Koutsojannis C, Morgan PB, Lagoumintzis G. Ocular conditions and dry eye due to traditional and new forms of smoking: A review. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2020;43(3):277-84.
14. Jha P. The hazards of smoking and the benefits of cessation: a critical summation of the epidemiological evidence in high-income countries. Elife. 2020;9:e49979. doi:10.7554/eLife.49979
15. Lorencatto F, Asif S, Francis JJ, Harper AM, Lawrenson JG. Seeing new opportunities to help smokers quit: a UK national survey of optometrist-delivered smoking cessation behavioral support interventions. Nicotine Tob Res. 2019;21(5):655-62.
16. Rea B, Tortorano AM. Tobacco smoking among medical students of the University of Milano, Italy. Ann Ig. 2006;18(6):559-63.
17. Qasim H, Alarabi AB, Alzoubi KH, Karim ZA, Alshbool FZ, Khasawneh FT. The effects of hookah/waterpipe smoking on general health and the cardiovascular system. Environ Health Prev Med. 2019;24(1):1-7. doi:10.1186/s12199-019-0811-y
18. Scott-Sheldon LAJ, Stroud LR. Preferences and perceptions of flavored hookah tobacco among US women. Am J Health Behav. 2018;42(3):37-46.
19. Petroulia I, Vardavas C, Filippidis F, Peleki T, Behrakis P, Quah AC, et al. The association between the awareness of the effects of smoking/secondhand smoke and the desire to quit. Tob Induc Dis. 2018;16(1):710. doi:10.18332/tid/84622
20. Milcarz M, Polanska K, Bak-Romaniszyn L, Kaleta D. Tobacco Health Risk Awareness among Socially Disadvantaged People-A Crucial Tool for Smoking Cessation. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018;15(10):2244. doi:10.3390/ijerph15102244
21. Marzo R. The Awareness on Smoking Health Warning and Its Impact Among Muar Community. Texila Int J Public Health. 2016;4:104-20. doi:10.21522/TIJPH.2013.04.01.Art008
22. Shanmugasundaram K, Sitaraman P. Awareness of Ill-Effects to Tobacco in General Population. Indian J Public Health Res Dev. 2019;10:34. doi:10.5958/0976-5506.2019.01848.5
23. Salgado M, Mejía RM, Kaplan CP, Pérez-Stable EJ. Smoking-related attitudes and knowledge among medical students and recent graduates in argentina: a cross-sectional study. J Gen Intern Med. 2017;32(5):549-55. doi:10.1007/s11606-016-3890-0
24. Pascal Iloh GU, Collins PI. Awareness of health effects of exposure to secondhand smoke from cigarettes: A cross-sectional study of never-smoked adult primary care patients in Eastern Nigeria. Avicenna J Med. 2017;7(4):164-70. doi:10.4103/ajm.AJM2317
25. Dawood OT, Rashan MA, Hassali MA, Saleem F. Knowledge and perception about health risks of cigarette smoking among Iraqi smokers. J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2016;8(2):146-51. doi:10.4103/0975-7406.171738
26. Park J, Lim MK, Yun EH, Oh JK, Jeong BY, Cheon Y, et al. Influences of Tobacco-Related Knowledge on Awareness and Behavior towards Smoking. J Korean Med Sci. 2018;33(47):e302. doi:10.3346/jkms.2018.33.e302
27. Alzahrani SH. Levels and factors of knowledge about the related health risks of exposure to secondhand smoke among medical students: A cross-sectional study in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Tob Induc Dis. 2020;18:88. doi:10.18332/tid/128317
28. Al-Haqwi AI, Tamim H, Asery A. Knowledge, attitude and practice of tobacco smoking by medical students in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Ann Thorac Med. 2010;5(3):145-8. doi:10.4103/1817-1737.65044
29. Minh An DT, Van Minh H, Huong LT, Bao Giang K, Thanh Xuan LT, Thi Hai P, et al. Knowledge of the health consequences of tobacco smoking: a cross-sectional survey of Vietnamese adults. Glob Health Action. 2013;6(1):18707. doi:10.3402/gha.v6i0.18707
30. Owusu-Dabo E, Lewis S, McNeill A, Gilmore A, Britton J. Support for smoke-free policy, and awareness of tobacco health effects and use of smoking cessation therapy in a developing country. BMC Public Health. 2011;11(1):1-2. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-11-572
31. US Department of Health and Human Services. Preventing tobacco use among youth and young adults: A report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, 2012. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/sgr/2012/.
32. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Australian Burden of Disease Study: impact and causes of illness and death in Australia 2015. Australian Burden of Disease, Canberra: AIHW, 2019. Available from: https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/burden-of-disease/burden-disease-study-illness-death-2015/contents/summary.
33. Winnall WR, Letcher T, Greenhalgh EM, Winstanley MH. 3.21 Health effects for young people who smoke. In Greenhalgh, EM, Scollo, MM and Winstanley, MH [editors]. Tobacco in Australia: Facts and issues. Melbourne: Cancer Council Victoria; 2021. Available from: https://www.tobaccoinaustralia.org.au/chapter-3-health-effects/3-21-health-effects-for-younger-smokers
34. Hackshaw A, Morris JK, Boniface S, Tang J, Milenković D. Low cigarette consumption and risk of coronary heart disease and stroke: meta-analysis of 141 cohort studies in 55 study reports. BMJ. 2018;360. doi:10.1136/bmj.j5855
35. Action on Smoking and Health. Smoking statistics: Who smokes and how much? London: ASH; 2016c. Retrieved from: http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_
36. Wang W, Zhao T, Geng K, Yuan G, Chen Y, Xu Y. Smoking and the Pathophysiology of Peripheral Artery Disease. Front Cardiovasc Med. 2021;8:704106. doi:10.3389/fcvm.2021.704106
37. Action on Smoking and Health. Smoking and reproduction. London: ASH; 2013. Retrieved from: http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH
38. Chakraborty R, Deb J. Abstracts: NAPCON. Lung India. 2019;36(Suppl 3):S92-182.
39. Royal College of Physicians and Royal College of Psychiatrists. Smoking and mental health. London: RCP. 2013.
40. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. COVID-19 and the impact on young people [Internet]. Canberra: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 2021 [cited 2022 Aug. 30]. Available from: https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/children-youth/covid-19-and-young-people
Copyright © 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Archives of Pharmacy Practice
Developed by Archives of Pharmacy Practice