Ceftriaxone is the most commonly used antibiotic in Pakistan which is well-tolerated and rarely cause fatal adverse reactions. Here, we underline a fatal cardiopulmonary arrest post-ceftriaxone administration. A nine-year-old girl was presented to the emergency department with complaints of sore throat and a small abscess on the cheek. She was prescribed ceftriaxone 0.5 g intravenously STAT (immediately) and amoxicillin syrup (125 mg/5ml) 1 tablespoon BID (twice a day) for 5 days. Earlier, the patient was alert and oriented but she had a fall and became unconscious within a minute of receiving a ceftriaxone injection. She was given emergency treatment for shock and cardiopulmonary resuscitation was performed for approximately 20 minutes. She was declared dead, with cardiopulmonary arrest reported to be the cause of death. In conclusion, this was a fatal case of cardiopulmonary arrest following anaphylaxis to ceftriaxone (Naranjo adverse drug reaction probability score = 5). Therefore, healthcare professionals should be mindful of anaphylaxis possibility in patients receiving ceftriaxone.
1. Kelkar PS, Li JT. Cephalosporin allergy. NEJM. 2001;345(11):804-9.
2. Akshita C, Vijay B V, Praveen D. Evaluation of Phytochemical Screening and Antimicrobial Efficacy of Mesua Ferrea And Piper Cubeba Fruit Extracts Against Multidrug-Resistant Bacteria. Pharmacophore. 2020;11(2):15-20.
3. Vorontsova OA, Shutova TI, Pudovkin NA, Prokhorova TM, Smutnev PV, Subbotin IG. The Experience of Using Drug Mirtazapine in Comprehensive Therapy of Idiopathic Cystitis in Cats. Pharmacophore. 2019;10(6): 31-6.
4. Ashjaran A, Sheybani S. Drug Release of Bacterial Cellulose as Antibacterial Nano Wound Dressing. Int J Pharm Res Allied Sci. 2019;8(3):137-43.
5. Elwy AE, El-Agousa I, Azzazy AE. Taurine as a Drug for Protection of Liver and Kidney against Toxicity of Dinitrotoluene on Male Rats (Applicable Study). Int J Pharm Res Allied Sci. 2019;8(1):102-14.
6. Mustafa ZU, Salman M, Rao AZ, Asif N, Butt SA, Shehzadi N, et al. Assessment of antibiotics use for children upper respiratory tract infections: a retrospective, cross-sectional study from Pakistan. Infect Dis. 2020;52(7):473-8.
7. Saleem Z, Saeed H, Hassali MA, Godman B, Asif U, Yousaf M, et al. Pattern of inappropriate antibiotic use among hospitalized patients in Pakistan: a longitudinal surveillance and implications. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2019;8(1):1-7.
8. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. ROCEPHIN® (ceftriaxone sodium) for injection. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2009/0550585s063lbl.pdf
9. Fischer D, Vander Leek TK, Ellis AK, Kim H. Anaphylaxis. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol. 2018;14:1-8.
10. Howard RL, Avery AJ, Slavenburg S, Royal S, Pipe G, Lucassen P, et al. Which drugs cause preventable admissions to hospital? A systematic review. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2007;63(2):136-47.
11. Impicciatore P, Choonara I, Clarkson A, Provasi D, Pandolfini C, Bonati M. Incidence of adverse drug reactions in pediatric in/out-patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2001;52(1):77-83.
12. Naranjo CA, Busto U, Sellers EM, Sandor P, Ruiz I, Roberts EA, et al. A method for estimating the probability of adverse drug reactions. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1981;30(2):239-45.
13. Saritas A, Erbas M, Gonen I, Candar M, Ozturk O, Kandis H, et al. Asystole after the first dose of ceftriaxone. Am J Emerg Med. 2012;30(7):1321-e3.
14. Shrestha D, Dhakal AK, Shakya H, Shah SC, Shakya A. A report of near-fatal ceftriaxone induced anaphylaxis in a child with review of literature. Nepal Med Coll J. 2013;15(1):84-6.
15. Riezzo I, Bello S, Neri M, Turillazzi E, Finesch V. Ceftriaxone intradermal test-related fatal anaphylactic shock: a medico-legal nightmare. Allergy. 2010:65(1);130-1.
16. Aboul-Fotouh S, Magdy YM, Ali RM. A case report of asystole after a test dose of ceftriaxone in an adult man. Ain-Shams J Anaesthesiol. 2016;9(4):617.
17. Kumari A, Gupta R, Bajwa SJ. A rare case of ceftriaxone induced anaphylaxis in anesthesia practice. Arch Med Health Sci. 2015;3(1):106-9.
18. Calapai G, Imbesi S, Ventura-Spagnolo E, Cafeo V, Milone L, Navarra M, et al. Fatal anaphylactic shock ceftriaxone-induced in a 4-year-old child. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2016;32(1):32-3.
19. De TP, Buonomo A, Di LG, Pucci S. Pulmonary Embolism After Ceftriaxone-Induced Anaphylaxis. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2017;27(3):190-1.
20. Bhagwat AG, Saxena KN. Intraoperative anaphylaxis to inj ceftriaxone: Here we go again. Indian J Anaesth. 2008;52(4):462.
21. Imam EA, Ibrahim MI. Ceftriaxone-Induced Fatal Anaphylaxis Shock at an Emergency Department: A Case Report. J Pharm Pract Community Med. 2017;3(4):299-301.
22. Badar VA, Deshmukh S. Ceftriaxone induced anaphylaxis in a tertiary care hospital in Central India. IJPR. 2016;6(2):89-91.
23. Hirachan R, Gopi PH, Bibek R, Hari KC, Tumaya G, Thaneshwor P, et al. Anaphylaxis to Ceftriaxone–Evaluation of Two Cases. J-GMC-N. 2018;11(02):82-4.
24. Shalviri G, Yousefian S, Gholami K. Adverse events induced by ceftriaxone: a 10‐year review of reported cases to Iranian Pharmacovigilance Centre. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2012;37(4):448-51.