To date, no study has compared the prevalence of chronic kidney disease-associated pruritus (CKD-aP) among patients on hemodialysis in Pakistan (a developing country with poor health resources) and Malaysia (a newly industrialized country with adequate health resources). The aim was to compare CKD-aP between Pakistani and Malaysian patients on hemodialysis and factors associated with CKD-aP. Pakistani patients were recruited from July 2016 to April 2017 from two tertiary hospitals in Peshawar and Rawalpindi. Whilst Malaysian patients were recruited from February to September 2017 from a tertiary hospital and its affiliated dialysis centers in Kuala Lumpur.
A total of 354 Pakistani and 334 Malaysian patients were recruited (response rate=100%). The CKD-aP prevalence was 74% and 61.3% in Pakistan and Malaysia, respectively. Pakistani patients had poorer PSQI and health-related quality of life (HRQOL) scores compared to Malaysian patients. The prevalence of CKD-aP and the PSQI score was slightly higher in Pakistan than in Malaysia. CKD-aP was significantly associated with PSQI score and HRQOL in both populations.
1. Hu X, Sang Y, Yang M, Chen X, Tang W. Prevalence of chronic kidney disease-associated pruritus among adult dialysis patients: A meta-analysis of cross-sectional studies. Medicine. 2018;97(21):e10633.
2. Pisoni RL, Wikström B, Elder SJ, Akizawa T, Asano Y, Keen ML, et al. Pruritus in haemodialysis patients: International results from the Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS). Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2006;21(12):3495-505.
3. Mathur VS, Lindberg J, Germain M, Block G, Tumlin J, Smith M, et al. A longitudinal study of uremic pruritus in hemodialysis patients. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010; 2;5(8):1410-9.
4. Arshad A, Noordin MF, Othman RB. A Synthesis on SWOT Analysis of Public Sector Healthcare Knowledge Management Information Systems in Pakistan. Management. 2017;8(8):130-6.
5. Jessani S, Bux R, Jafar TH. Prevalence, determinants, and management of chronic kidney disease in Karachi, Pakistan-a community-based cross-sectional study. BMC Nephrol. 2014;15(1):90.
6. Newly industrialized country 2014 [cited 2018 15th September]. Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newly_industrialized_country.
7. Smullen A, Hong PK. Comparing the Health Care Systems of High‐Performing Asian Countries. Asia Pac Policy Stud. 2015;2(2):347-55.
8. Hooi LS, Ong LM, Ahmad G, Bavanandan S, Ahmad NA, Naidu BM, et al. A population-based study measuring the prevalence of chronic kidney disease among adults in West Malaysia. Kidney Int. 2013;84(5):1034-40.
9. Ibrahim N, Chiew-Tong NK, Desa A. Symptoms and health-related quality of life in patients with heamodialysis and continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis. R J Med Sci. 2011;5(5):252-6.
10. Rehman IU, Munib S, Ramadas A, Khan TM. Prevalence of chronic kidney disease-associated pruritus, and association with sleep quality among hemodialysis patients in Pakistan. PLOS ONE. 2018;13(11):e0207758. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0207758.
11. Rehman IU, Lai PSM, Lim SK, Lee LH, Khan TM. Sleep disturbance among Malaysian patients with end-stage renal disease with pruritus. BMC Nephrol. 2019;20(1):102. doi: 10.1186/s12882-019-1294-1.
12. Rehman IU, Khan TM. Validity and reliability of the Urdu version of the 5D itching scale to assess pruritus among patients with chronic kidney disease in Pakistan. BMC Nephrol. 2017;18(1):302.
13. Rehman IU, Wu DB, Pauline Lai SM, Palanisamy UD, Lim SK, Khan TM. Translation of the 5D itching scale from English to Malay, and its Validation among Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease in Malaysia. Front Med. 2017;4(189):1.
14. Hashmi AM, Khawaja IS, Butt Z, Umair M, Naqvi SH, Ul-Haq J. The Pittsburgh sleeps quality index: validation of the Urdu translation. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2014;24(2):123-6.
15. Zahari Z, Siong LC, Musa N, Mohd Yasin MA, Choon TS, Mohamad N, et al. Demographic profiles and sleep quality among patients on methadone maintenance therapy (MMT) in Malaysia. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2016;29(1):239-46.
16. Buysse DJ, Reynolds III CF, Monk TH, Berman SR, Kupfer DJ. The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Res. 1989;28(2):193-213.
17. Rehman IU, Chan KG, Munib S, Lee LH, Khan TM. The association between CKD-associated pruritus and quality of life in patients undergoing hemodialysis in Pakistan: A STROBE compliant cross-sectional study. Medicine. 98(36): e16812.
18. Rehman IU, Lai PS, Kun LS, Lee LH, Chan KG, Khan TM. Chronic kidney disease‐associated pruritus and quality of life in Malaysian patients undergoing hemodialysis. Ther Apher Dial. 2020;24(1):17-25.
19. Narita I, Alchi B, Omori K, Sato F, Ajiro J, Saga D, et al. Etiology and prognostic significance of severe uremic pruritus in chronic hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int. 2006;69(9):1626-32.
20. Melo NC, Elias RM, Castro MC, Romao Jr JE, Abensur H. Pruritus in hemodialysis patients: the problem remains. Hemodial Int. 2009;13(1):38-42.
21. Akhyani M, Ganji M-R, Samadi N, Khamesan B, Daneshpazhooh M. Pruritus in hemodialysis patients. BMC Dermatol. 2005;5(1):1-6.
22. Jha V. Current status of end-stage renal disease care in India and Pakistan. Kidney Int Suppl. 2013;3(2):157-60.
23. Saeed F, Ahmad M, Alam SM, Perveen K. Chronic kidney disease – a multi-center study in Karachi, Pakistan. Int J Pharm Sci. 2017;9(12):170-4. doi: 10.22159/ijpps.2017v9i12.21240.
24. Ambigapathy R, Ambigapathy S, Ling H. A knowledge, attitude, and practice (KAP) study of diabetes mellitus among patients attending Klinik Kesihatan Seri Manjung. NCD Malaysia. 2003;2(2):6-16.
25. Abdul-Razak S, Daher AM, Ramli AS, Ariffin F, Mazapuspavina MY, Ambigga KS, et al. Prevalence, awareness, treatment, control and socio-demographic determinants of hypertension in Malaysian adults. BMC Public Health. 2016;16(1):351.
26. Gillani AH, Amirul Islam FM, Hayat K, Atif N, Yang C, Chang J, et al. Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices Regarding Diabetes in the General Population: A Cross-Sectional Study from Pakistan. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018;15(9):1906.
27. Almas A, Godil SS, Lalani S, Samani ZA, Hameed A. Good knowledge about hypertension is linked to better control of hypertension; a multicentre cross-sectional study in Karachi, Pakistan. BMC Res Notes. 2017;24(5):579.
28. Shafi ST, Saleem M, Anjum R, Abdullah W, Shafi T. Refusal of hemodialysis by hospitalized chronic kidney disease patients in Pakistan. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2018;29(2):401-8. doi: 10.4103/1319-2442.229270.
29. Yosipovitch G, Zucker I, Boner G, Gafter U, Shapira Y, David M. A questionnaire for the assessment of pruritus: validation in uremic patients. Acta Dermatovenereol-Stockh. 2001;81(2):108-11.
30. Kosmadakis G, Papakonstantinou S, Theodoros C, Emmanouel P, Demetrios V, Nicolas Z. Characteristics of uremic pruritus in hemodialysis patients: data from a single center. Kidney Int. 2008;74(7):962. doi: 10.1038/ki.2008.359.
31. Ozen N, Cinar FI, Askin D, Mut D. Uremic pruritus and associated factors in hemodialysis patients: A multi-center study. Kidney Res Clin Pract. 2018;37(2):138.
32. Clinical. Practice. Guidelines. Management of Chronic Kidney Disease in Adults 2011 [cited 2018 28th October]. Available from: http://www.moh.gov.my/penerbitan/CPG2017/Kidney01.pdf.