Fibers can be used as restorative materials during post-endodontic treatment to avoid tooth fractures. Fibers can modify the stress by initiating a Monoblock effect that aids to dispel the stress along the tooth’s long axis. Fibers can also prevent the formation of cracks due to the dispersal of stress to the fibers from the polymer matrix. Glass fiber-reinforced composite is one of the materials that can be used in dentistry for restoration. It is known that enclosing glass fibers into a resin matrix produces glass fiber-reinforced composites. The objective of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of glass fiber-reinforced composite restoration. This study utilized a systematic review that involved searching the literature and selecting articles for review based on the set criteria for exclusion and inclusion. The study established that glass fiber-reinforced composite restoration recorded favorable outcomes compared to other non-fiber-reinforced composite materials and other composite materials. Glass fiber-reinforced composite materials are appropriate to be used for restoration based on their clinical efficacy.
1. Elhejazi A, Alanazi AA, Alanazi K, Alqahtani F, Shabi YM, Alqahtani AA. The morphological difference between maxillary posterior teeth in Saudi population. Ann Dent Spec. 2021;9(2):58-61.
2. Remizova AA, Sakaeva ZU, Dzgoeva ZG, Rayushkin II, Tingaeva YI, Povetkin SN, et al. The role of oral hygiene in the effectiveness of prosthetics on dental implants. Ann Dent Spec. 2021;9(1):39-46.
3. Ashurko I, Esayan A, Magdalyanova M, Tarasenko S. Current concepts of surgical methods to increase mucosal thickness during dental implantation. J Adv Pharm Educ Res. 2021;11(3):37-41.
4. Raju R, Rajan G, Farrar P, Prusty BG. Dimensional stability of short fibre reinforced flowable dental composites. Sci Rep. 2021;11(1):1-11.
5. Shah EH, Shetty P, Aggarwal S, Sawant S, Shinde R, Bhol R. Effect of fibre-reinforced composite as a post-obturation restorative material on fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth: A systematic review. Saudi Dent J. 2021;33(7):363-9.
6. Özüdoğru S, Tosun G. Evaluation of microleakage and fatigue behaviour of several fiber application techniques in composite restorations. Ann Dent Spec. 2022;10(2):60.
7. Safwat EM, Khater AGA, Abd-Elsatar AG, Khater GA. Glass fiber-reinforced composites in dentistry. Bull Natl Res Cent. 2021;45(190):1-9.
8. Kırmalı Ö, Akçakuş Battal T, Turker N, Dündar A. Mechanical properties of glass‐fibre‐reinforced composite posts after laser irradiation with different energy densities. Aust Endod J. 2021;47(1):34-42.
9. Brożek R, Koczorowski R, Dorocka-Bobkowska B. Laboratory and clinical evaluation of polymer materials reinforced by fibers used in dentistry. European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences. 2019;23(5):1855-63.
10. Mangoush E, Garoushi S, Lassila L, Vallittu PK, Säilynoja E. Effect of fiber reinforcement type on the performance of large posterior restorations: A review of in vitro studies. Polymers. 2021;13(21):3682.
11. Sáry T, Garoushi S, Braunitzer G, Alleman D, Volom A, Fráter M. Fracture behaviour of MOD restorations reinforced by various fibre-reinforced techniques–An in vitro study. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2019;98:348-56.
12. Wang T, Matinlinna JP, Burrow MF, Ahmed KE. The biocompatibility of glass-fibre reinforced composites (GFRCs)–a systematic review. J Prosthodont Res. 2021;65(3):273-83.
13. Bazli M, Zhao XL, Jafari A, Ashrafi H, Raman RS, Bai Y, et al. Durability of glass-fibre-reinforced polymer composites under seawater and sea-sand concrete coupled with harsh outdoor environments. Adv Struct Eng. 2021;24(6):1090-109.
14. Dheepika K. Evaluation and Comparison of Flexural Strength of Composite Resin Material Reinforced with Continuous E-Glass and S-Glass Fibres: An In Vitro study (Doctoral dissertation, KSR Institute of Dental Science and Research, Tiruchengode). 2020:1-72.
15. Patnana AK, Vanga NRV, Vabbalareddy R, Chandrabhatla SK. Evaluating the fracture resistance of fiber reinforced composite restorations-An in vitro analysis. Indian J Dent Res. 2020;31(1):138-44.
16. Mena-Álvarez J, Agustín-Panadero R, Zubizarreta-Macho A. Effect of Fiber-Reinforced Composite and Elastic Post on the Fracture Resistance of Premolars with Root Canal Treatment—An In Vitro Pilot Study. Appl Sci. 2020;10(21):7616.
17. ManHart J. Fiberglass-reinforced composite endodontic posts. 2021. https://navadental.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Fiberglass-post.pdf
18. Singh RK, Nidawani P, Galagali G, Naik S, Reddy S. Fiber-Reinforced Composite Resin Fixed Partial Denture to Restore Missing Anterior Teeth: A Case Report. 2019;6(11).
19. Purayil TP, Kumar SS, Upadhyay S, Acharya SR, Anju PK. Clinical applications of Glass Fiber Reinforced Composites: A Case Series. Indian J Public Health Res Dev. 2020;11(11):181-7.
Copyright © 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Archives of Pharmacy Practice
Developed by Archives of Pharmacy Practice