The aim of the study was to determine the efficacy of a diabetes educator-assisted management study of diabetes in low and middle-income countries (Pakistan). A randomized controlled trial was carried out on 150 patients, who received diabetes care from an endocrinologist. Diabetes educators followed a stepwise approach: setting priorities for patient care, assessing patients' specific educational needs, developing of individualized diet plan, benefits of self-monitoring blood glucose, addressing the concerns related to diabetes treatment, foot care, and hypoglycaemia. In the intervention group, the diabetes educator trained patients for 6 months (follow-up visits and phone calls). The primary outcome was A1C, and the secondary outcomes included medication adherence, health-related quality of life, blood glucose, blood pressure, and lipid profile. Most of the participants were from the age range of 40-60 years (57.3%) and were male (53.3%). There was a significant improvement in the HbA1c (p<0.0001), blood glucose (p<0.0001), blood pressure (p<0.0001), and lipid profile (p<0.0001) in the intervention group. A significant improvement in the health-related quality of life and patients' adherence level was also seen after diabetes educator intervention. Glycaemic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients requires ongoing education. This study is an effort to enhance self-management of poorly controlled type 2 diabetes mellitus patients who are at higher risk of diabetes-associated complications.
1. Kabir N, Ibrahim SI, Aujara IA, Isah SY. Prevalence of Prediabetes. 2020.
2. Prajapati VB, Blake R, Acharya LD, Seshadri S. Assessment of quality of life in type II diabetic patients using the modified diabetes quality of life (MDQoL)-17 questionnaire. Braz J Pharm Sci. 2018;53.
3. Sun H, Saeedi P, Karuranga S, Pinkepank M, Ogurtsova K, Duncan BB, et al. IDF Diabetes Atlas: Global, regional and country-level diabetes prevalence estimates for 2021 and projections for 2045. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2022;183:109119.
4. Lee SK, Shin DH, Kim YH, Lee KS. Effect of diabetes education through pattern management on self-care and self-efficacy in patients with type 2 diabetes. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019;16(18):3323.
5. Bukhsh A, Tan XY, Chan KG, Lee LH, Goh BH, Khan TM. Effectiveness of pharmacist-led educational interventions on self-care activities and glycemic control of type 2 diabetes patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2018;12:2457.
6. Zubioli A, Silva MA, Tasca RS, Curi R, Bazotte RB. Pharmaceutical consultation as a tool to improve health outcomes for patients with type 2 diabetes. Braz J Pharm Sci. 2013;49(1):85-94.
7. Ghoreishi MS, Vahedian-Shahroodi M, Jafari A, Tehranid H. Self-care behaviors in patients with type 2 diabetes: Education intervention base on social cognitive theory. Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2019;13(3):2049-56.
8. Tesfaye T, Shikur B, Shimels T, Firdu N. Prevalence and factors associated with diabetes mellitus and impaired fasting glucose level among members of federal police commission residing in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. BMC Endocr Disord. 2016;16(1):1-9.
9. Hanif S, Ali SN, Hassanein M, Khunti K, Hanif W. Managing People with Diabetes Fasting for Ramadan During the COVID‐19 Pandemic: A South Asian Health Foundation Update. Diabetic Med. 2020;37(7):1094-102.
10. Gagliardino JJ, Chantelot JM, Domenger C, Ramachandran A, Kaddaha G, Mbanya JC, et al. Impact of diabetes education and self-management on the quality of care for people with type 1 diabetes mellitus in the Middle East (the International Diabetes Mellitus Practices Study, IDMPS). Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2019;147:29-36.
11. Surucu HA, Kizilci S, Ergor G. The impacts of diabetes education on self care agency, self-care activities and hbA1c levels of patients with type 2 diabetes: A randomized controlled study. Int J Caring Sci. 2017;10(1):479.
12. Bardan AS, Thaker R, Diab RA, Maurino V, Liu C. Challenging Cases. InCataract Surgery 2021 (pp. 143-171). Springer, Cham.
13. Silva WH, Dantas DS, Nóbrega BS, Queiroz MD, Alves HD. Evaluation of adherence to pharmacological treatment. Braz J Pharm Sci. 2019;55.
14. Aditama L, Athiyah U, Utami W, Qomaruddin MB. Effect of comprehensive medication management on patient empowerment ‘type II diabetes mellitus patients in primary care’. J Adv Pharm Educ Res. 2021;11(3):43.
15. Pourhoseingholi MA, Vahedi M, Rahimzadeh M. Sample size calculation in medical studies. Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench. 2013;6(1):14.
16. Aschner Montoya P, Beck Nielsen H, Bennett P, Boulton A, Colagiuri R, Colagiuri S, et al. Global guideline for type 2 diabetes.
17. Johnston MP. Secondary data analysis: A method of which the time has come. Qualitative and quantitative methods in libraries. 2017;3(3):619-26.
18. Iqbal Q, Bashir S, Bashaar M. Profile and predictors of health related quality of life among type II diabetes mellitus patients in Quetta city, Pakistan. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017;15(1):1-9.
19. Rehman IU, Chia DW, Ahmed R, Khan NA, Rahman AU, Munib S, et al. A randomized controlled trial for effectiveness of zolpidem versus acupressure on sleep in hemodialysis patients having chronic kidney disease–associated pruritus. Medicine. 2018;97(31):e10764.
20. Stratton IM, Adler AI, Neil HA, Matthews DR, Manley SE, Cull CA, et al. Association of glycaemia with macrovascular and microvascular complications of type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 35): prospective observational study. Bmj. 2000;321(7258):405-12.
21. Machado M, Bajcar J, Guzzo GC, Einarson TR. Sensitivity of patient outcomes to pharmacist interventions. Part I: systematic review and meta-analysis in diabetes management. Ann Pharmacother. 2007;41(10):1569-82.
22. Sherifali D, Bai JW, Kenny M, Warren R, Ali MU. Diabetes self‐management programmes in older adults: a systematic review and meta‐analysis. Diabetic Med. 2015;32(11):1404-14.
23. Greer N, Bolduc J, Geurkink E, Rector T, Olson K, Koeller E, et al. Pharmacist-led chronic disease management: a systematic review of effectiveness and harms compared with usual care. Ann Intern Med. 2016;165(1):30-40.
24. Pousinho S, Morgado M, Falcão A, Alves G. Pharmacist interventions in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2016;22(5):493-515.
Copyright © 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Archives of Pharmacy Practice
Developed by Archives of Pharmacy Practice