In the current society, esthetic concepts are enhancing that result in an increasing request for esthetic procedures, especially among youngsters. Patients are keen to have a well-aligned smile and demand whiter teeth. Thus, dental bleaching therapies have become more famous. Teenagers and adolescents get influenced by their peer's comments regarding their facial esthetics. Dental appearance plays an important role in determining their psychosocial well-being, affecting their perception of the maintenance of esthetics. The present cross-sectional research carried out among the high school boys of Riyadh using an online survey. An online questionnaire was constructed consisting of questions related to demographic data followed by questions including knowledge and perception towards teeth discoloration, bleaching/whitening, factors associated with the decision, etc. Regarding questions related to bleaching, only 22.8% did not know what it is, 78.2% said they would consult the dentist before using it, 39.6% reported the color achieved after bleaching would last forever. As far as their previous dental visits were concerned, 7.9% never visited a dentist, 43.4% had visited within 6 months, 25.7% within 6-12 months, and 23% more than 12 months. Students' level of knowledge regarding discoloration is unsatisfactory but satisfactory regarding bleaching.
1. Alhamwi N, Al Jarbou F, Ourfhli A, Alfaris F, Algannass T, AlSaffan A, et al. Perception and experience of dental students regarding e-learning education in the universities of Riyadh. Pharmacophore. 2020;11(6):67-73.
2. Hamed MT, Mously HA. Investigating Economic and Clinical Implications of Tooth Implant Supported Prosthesis among Patients and Practitioners. Int J Pharm Res Allied Sci. 2019;8(4):116-21.
3. Kwon SR, Goldstein RE. Bleaching Discolored Teeth. Ronald E. Goldstein's Esthetics in Dentistry. 2018:324-52.
4. Joshi SB. An overview of vital teeth bleaching. J Interdiscip Dent. 2016;6(1):3.
5. Silva FB, Chisini LA, Demarco FF, Horta BL, Correa MB. Desire for tooth bleaching and treatment performed in Brazilian adults: findings from a birth cohort. Braz Oral Res. 2018;32:e12.
6. Alamassi BY, AbuMostafa A, Alkhaldi SA, Aljeri NK, Alahmadi YM. Perception and knowledge of adult saudi patients about tooth discoloration and vital bleaching. Int J Dent Health Sci. 2017;4(3):476-89.
7. Ahmad R, Ariffin EH, Vengrasalam I, Kasim NH. Patients’perceptions and knowledge on tooth bleaching. Ann Dent Univ Malaya. 2018;12(1):24-30.
8. Gonçalves ML, Tavares AC, Mota AC, Penna LA, Deana AM, Bussadori SK. In-office tooth bleaching for adolescents using hydrogen peroxide-based gels: clinical trial. Braz Dent J. 2017;28(6):720-5.
9. Bacaksiz A, Tulunoglu O, Tulunoglu I. Efficacy and stability of two in-office bleaching agents in adolescents: 12 months follow-up. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2016;40(4):269-73.
10. Al-Nomay NS, Ahmed AE, Al-Hargan A, Ashi A, Alshalhoub A. Public knowledge of tooth bleaching in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. J Int Oral Health. 2015;7(12):27.
11. Zaleckienė V, Pečiulienė V, Aleksejūnienė J, Drukteinis S, Brukienė V. Dental trauma experience, attitudes and trauma prevention in 11-to 13-year-old Lithuanian schoolchildren. Oral Health Prev Dent. 2020;18(2):373-8.
12. Siddiq H, Pentapati KC, Acharya S. Children's perception of other children with dental fluorosis–A cross-sectional study. J Oral Biol Craniofac Res. 2020;10(2):72-7.
13. Sedky NA. Survey among Middle and Secondary School Students about their Attitudes toward Esthetics and Perception of the Desired Treatment to Improve Dental Appearance: A Cross-sectional Study. Cad Estud Africanos. 2015.