Primary care medical doctor (PHC) have a chance to sustenance the healthy eating behaviors of patients by giving nourishment education. This study aimed to explore the updated evidence concerning physicians’ knowledge and practice of nutrition education in healthcare centers in Saudi Arabia. A systematic review was conducted. We searched PubMed, Web of Science, Science Direct, EBSCO, and the Cochrane library. Using Rayyan QCRI, study articles were first screened by title and abstract before a full-text analysis was done. Results: This review included a total of 8 research with participants of both sexes and varying ages. The included studies used a variety of designs, mostly cross-sectional, but they are all legitimate. the main evidence demonstrated by most of the reviewed studies is that primary care physicians have just a reasonable nutrition knowledge and are aware of the only basic nutritional knowledge for providing nutrition care to their patients. Medical students' knowledge, attitudes, and confidence in offering nutritional counselling to patients all showed how inadequate the nutritional programme was. So, Intern physicians and Primary care physicians need to improve their clinical nutrition knowledge, this will allow them to get the most level of nutritional knowledge and skills to provide individuals with the suitable nutritional recommendations and also successfully support patients to enhamce their dietary behaviors and health conditions. PHC physicians should have continuous nutrition educational training programs to ensure the continuous provision of sound nutritional advice to patients and the public leading to a positive impact on public health.
1. Cepni AB, Crumbley C, Nadeem S, Ledoux TA, Johnston CA. Incorporating Nutrition Counseling into Lifestyle Medicine. Am J Lifestyle Med. 2022;16(3):291-4. doi:10.1177/15598276221077224
2. Blunt SB, Kafatos A. Clinical Nutrition Education of Doctors and Medical Students: Solving the Catch 22. Adv Nutr. 2019;10(2):345-50. doi:10.1093/advances/nmy082
3. James SL, Abate D, Abate KH, Abay SM, Abbafati C, Abbasi N, et al. Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 354 diseases and injuries for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017. Lancet. 2018;392(10159):1789-858. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32279-7
4. Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation Saudi health interview survey (SHIS), 2017. Available from: www.healthdata.org/sites/default/files/files/Projects/KSA/Saudi-Health-Interview-Survey-Results.pdf [Accessed 23 Feb 2019].
5. Lepre B, Trigueiro H, Johnsen JT, Khalid AA, Ball L, Ray S. Global architecture for the nutrition training of health professionals: a scoping review and blueprint for next steps. BMJ Nutr Prev Health. 2022;5(1):106-17. doi:10.1136/bmjnph-2021-000354
6. Ball L, Leveritt M, Cass S, Chaboyer W. Effect of nutrition care provided by primary health professionals on adults’ dietary behaviours: a systematic review. Fam Pract. 2015;32(6):605-17. doi:10.1093/camera/cmv067
7. Ball L, Desbrow B, Leveritt M. An exploration of individuals' preferences for nutrition care from Australian primary care health professionals. Aust J Prim Health. 2014;20(1):113-20. doi:10.1071/PY12127
8. Dumic A, Miskulin I, Matic Licanin M, Mujkic A, Cacic Kenjeric D, Miskulin M. Nutrition counseling practices among general practitioners in Croatia. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14(12):1499. doi:10.3390/ijerph14121499
9. Alkhaldy AA. Nutritional Knowledge and Self-Reported Nutritional Practice against Malnutrition among Physicians in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Healthcare (Basel, Switzerland). 2019;7(4):149. doi:10.3390/healthcare7040149
10. Lee JS, Wilson A, Okunowo O, Trinh J, Sivoravong J. Personal Health Practices and Perceptions of Lifestyle Counseling and Preventive Services Among Residents. Am J Lifestyle Med. 2020;16(2):203-13. doi:10.1177/1559827619896301
11. Al-Gassimi O, Shah HBU, Sendi R, Ezmeirlly HA, Ball L, Bakarman MA. Nutrition competence of primary care physicians in Saudi Arabia: a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open. 2020;10(1):e033443. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2019-033443
12. Asiri N, Bawazir AAA, Jadi H. Patients’ Satisfaction with Health Education Services at Primary Health Care Centers in Riyadh, KSA. J Community Med Health Educ. 2013;4(1):268. doi:10.4172/2161-0711.1000268
13. Al Shammari E, Ashraf SA, Al Shammari R, Al Rashidi A, Awadelkareem AM, Elkhalifa AEO. Nutritional Knowledge and Awareness of Primary Health Care Physicians Working in Hail Region, Saudi Arabia: A Cross-Sectional Study. Curr Res Nutr Food Sci. 2021;9(2):402. doi:10.12944/CRNFSJ.9.2.04
14. Aldubayan K, Alsamani AS, Aladel A, Almuhtadi Y. Physicians' Knowledge of Clinical Nutrition Discipline in Riyadh Saudi Arabia. Healthcare (Basel). 2021;9(12):1721. doi:10.3390/healthcare9121721
15. Bawazir Z, Alrasheedi A, Aljehany B. Nutritional Knowledge, and Attitudes among Physician Interns Graduated from King Abdul-Aziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Healthcare. 2022;10(9):1788. doi:10.3390/healthcare10091788
16. Arafa MA, Amin HS, Farhat KH, Rabah DM, Alarifi FF, Mostafa NS, et al. Nutritional Related Knowledge of Cancer Prevention among Primary Health Care Physicians. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2022;23(3):1041-5. doi:10.31557/APJCP.2022.23.3.1041
17. Alomary SA, Saeedi MY, Alotaibi TM, Al Shehri FS, Bashir AO, Ali AZ, et al. Knowledge and training needs of primary healthcare physicians regarding obesity management in Saudi Arabia. Saudi J Obes. 2016;4(1):20. Available from: link.gale.com/apps/doc/A457073653/AONE?u=anon~4447d098&sid=googleScholar&xid=18f9eba9. Accessed 17 Oct. 2022.
18. Al-Muammar MN. Predictors of physicians’ practices related to nutritional counseling and management in Riyadh City. Alex J Med. 2012;48(1):67-74.
19. Jefferson K, Ward M, Pang WH, Arcand J. A feasibility study of a randomized controlled trial protocol to assess the impact of an eHealth intervention on the provision of dietary advice in primary care. Pilot Feasibility Stud. 2022;8(1):208. doi:10.1186/s40814-022-01168-z
20. Chandra S, Mohammadnezhad M, Ward P. Trust and communication in a Doctor-patient relationship: a literature review. J Healthc Commun. 2018;3(3). doi:10.4172/2472-1654.100146
21. Dumic A, Miskulin M, Pavlovic N, Orkic Z, Bilic-Kirin V, Miskulin I. The nutrition knowledge of Croatian general practitioners. J Clin Med. 2018;7(7):178. doi:10.3390/jcm7070178
22. Aspry KE, Van Horn L, Carson JA, Wylie-Rosett J, Kushner RF, Lichtenstein AH, et al. Medical nutrition education, training, and competencies to advance guideline-based diet counseling by physicians: a science advisory from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2018;137(23):e821-41. doi:10.1161/CIR.0000000000000563
23. Dao MC, Subar AF, Warthon-Medina M, Cade JE, Burrows T, Golley RK, et al. Dietary assessment toolkits: an overview. Public Health Nutr. 2019;22(3):404-18. doi:10.1017/S1368980018002951
24. Khandelwal S, Zemore SE, Hemmerling A. Nutrition education in internal medicine residency programs and predictors of residents’ dietary counseling practices. J Med Educ Curric Dev. 2018;5:2382120518763360. doi:10.1177/2382120518763360
25. Ockene IS, Hebert JR, Ockene JK, Saperia GM, Stanek E, Nicolosi R, et al. Effect of physician-delivered nutrition counseling training and an office-support program on saturated fat intake, weight, and serum lipid measurements in a hyperlipidemic population: Worcester Area Trial for Counseling in Hyperlipidemia (WATCH). Arch Intern Med. 1999;159(7):725-31. doi:10.1001/Archie.159.7.725
26. Zimmerman GL, Olsen CG, Bosworth MF. A 'stages of change approach to helping patients change behavior. Am Fam Physician. 2000;61(5):1409-16.
27. Adamski M, Gibson S, Leech M, Truby H. Are doctors nutritionists? What is the role of doctors in providing nutrition advice? Nutr Bull. 2018;43:147-52. doi:10.1111/nbu.12320
Ray S, Udumyan R, Rajput-Ray M, Thompson B, Lodge KM, Douglas P, et al. Evaluation of a novel nutrition education intervention for medical students from across England. BMJ Open. 2012;2(1):e000417. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2011-000417
Copyright © 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Archives of Pharmacy Practice
Developed by Archives of Pharmacy Practice