Warfarin therapy is indicated for patients generally requiring anticoagulation therapy. Warfarin's common indications include myocardial infarction (MI), deep vein thrombosis (DVT), and stroke. Warfarin is favorable for many clinicians because it allows for direct monitoring. Furthermore, it comes in many doses which offer options for providers to ensure optimal anticoagulation for patients through monitoring of the International Normalized Ratio (INR). Warfarin acts as a vitamin K antagonist, preventing the synthesis of certain coagulation factors. Another benefit of warfarin is that it can be reversed using vitamin K. Literature reports have demonstrated warfarin's benefit in some adult patients for migraine headaches. Although these findings are scarce and incidental, we report a case of a 52-year-old male for whom warfarin was instrumental in maintaining the abortive benefit of migraine headaches and associated visual disturbances. The case report illustrates the possible added benefit of continuing warfarin therapy for patients with migraine headaches regardless of the primary indication for the warfarin therapy.
1. Nilsson B, Back V, Wei R, Plane F, Jurasz P, Bungard TJ. Potential antimigraine effects of warfarin: An exploration of biological mechanism with survey of patients. TH Open. 2019;3(02):e180-9. doi:10.1055/s-0039-1692989
2. Iskorur C, Korkut M, Soyuncu S. The relationship between abnormal intracranial findings in brain computed tomography and antiplatelet or anticoagulant use in patients with nontraumatic headache: a prospective cohort study. Clin Exp Emerg Med. 2022;9(2):134-9. doi:10.15441/ceem.21.117
3. Russo A, Santi S, Gueraldi D, De Paola M, Zani F, Pini LA. An unusual case report on the possible role of Warfarin in migraine prophylaxis. Springerplus. 2013;2(1):48. doi:10.1186/2193-1801-2-48
4. Nilsson BG, Bungard TJ. A case of migraine with aura resolving on warfarin but not on apixaban. Headache. 2017;57(10):1614-7. doi:10.1111/head.13190
5. Wang F, Cao Y, Liu Y, Ren Z, Li F. Platelet P2Y12 inhibitor in the treatment and prevention of migraine: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Behav Neurol. 2022;2022. doi:10.1155/2022/2118740
6. Beh SC. A case of vestibular migraine resolving on warfarin and topiramate. Headache. 2018;58(4):599-600. doi:10.1111/head.13266
7. Aniss NN, Rahman YH, Zaazaa AM. Cardioprotective effect of Moringa Oleifera against doxorubicin cardiotoxicity in leukemia rat model. Int J Pharmaceut Phytopharmacol Res. 2020;10(2):148-61.
8. Kanjikar AP. On Anti-Diabetic Potential of Phyto-nanoparticles Comparison with Hormonal Therapy and Medicinal Plants. Int J Pharm Phytopharmacol Res. 2019;9(1):103-11.
9. Toor MN, Baig MT, Shaikh S, Shahid U, Huma A, Ibrahim S, et al. Pharmacovigilance as an Essential Component of Pharmacotherapy at Tertiary Hospitals in Rural Areas of Pakistan. Pharmacophore. 2020;11(4):71-5.
10. Rahimtoola H, Egberts AC, Buurma H, Tijssen CC, Leufkens HG. Reduction in the intensity of abortive migraine drug use during coumarin therapy. Headache. 2001;41(8):768-73. doi:10.1046/j.1526-4610.2001.01141.x
11. Wammes‐van der EA, Smidt MH, Tijssen CC, Van ‘t Hoff AR, Lenderink, PharmD AW, et al. Effect of low‐intensity acenocoumarol on frequency and severity of migraine attacks. Headache. 2005;45(2):137-43. doi:10.1111/j.1526-4610.2005.05028.x
12. Wammes‐van der Heijden EA, Tijssen CC, Van't Hoff AR, Egberts AC. A thromboembolic predisposition and the effect of anticoagulants on migraine. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain. 2004;44(5):399-402. doi:10.1111/j.1526-4610.2004.04090.x
Copyright © 2023 - All Rights Reserved - Archives of Pharmacy Practice
Developed by Archives of Pharmacy Practice