Metoclopramide hydrochloride is used for the treatment of emesis. It is also used for chemotherapy and radiotherapy, and migraine induced nausea and vomiting. The objective of the study was the comparative assessment of different brands of metoclopramide hydrochloride. Different physiochemical tests according to USP were performed using different instruments. Scanning electron microscopy was also performed. Methanol, (Merck, Darmstadt, Germany) was used as regents. A reported method was utilized for the assay and dissolution studies. The results in weight variation test and friability ed within the pharmacopeia specified limits. The strength of the branded tablets was 6.15±0.18 to 8.77±0.38 kg. The disintegration time was within 4.1±0.52 to 7.11± 0.39 min. FT-IR and SEM analysis depicted complete compatibility between the active and excipients. The assay and dissolution results showed determination at 272 and 309 nm with USP limits. The spectrophotometric methods assess the quality and efficacy of tablets effectively, hence the evaluation provides the evidence to choose the brands for treatment.
1. Nazareth C, Pereira S. A Review on Chiral Stationary Phases for Separation of Chiral Drugs. Int. J Pharm Phytopharm Res. 2020;10(3):77-91.
2. Jafar M, Alshaer FI, Adrees FA. Cyclodextrin Ternary Inclusion Complexation: A Strategy to Improve Solubility of Poorly Soluble Drugs. Int J Pharm Phytopharm Res. 2018;8(6):8-17.
3. Soboleva MS, Loskutova EE, Amelina IV. Improvement of pharmaceutical consultation process in drugstores. J Adv Pharm Educ Res. 2020;10(1):136-42.
4. Najafi ML, Nasiri M. Review of drug abuse patterns and their association with some individual and social variables among addicts. J Adv Pharm Edu Res. 2019;9(2):99-101.
5. Varillas MA, Brevedan MI, González Vidal NL. Pharmaceutical Equivalence and Similarity Studies of Metoclopramide Tablets. Dissolution Technologies, Inc; Dissolution Technologies. 2018; 25; 1; 14-21.
6. Huque S, Brishti NR, Noor M, Das S, Akhter R, Gorapi MZ, Tanni KA, Shahriar M. Comparative in vitro equivalence evaluation of some Desloratadine generic tablets marketed in Bangladesh. IJAR. 2017;3(2):288-93.
7. Brayfield A. Martindale: The complete drug reference. Pharmaceutical Press; 2017.
8. Weise AM, Liu CY, Shield AF. Fatal liver failure in a patient on acetaminophen treated with sunitinib malate and levothyroxine. Ann Pharmacother. 2009;43:761-766.
9. Yogananda R, Nagaraja TS, Snehalatha Jayadevaiah KV, Vijay Kumar MMJ. Comparative in vitro equivalence studies of designed, branded and generic tablets of ciprofloxacin-250. Int J Pharm Sci. 2009;1:28-34.
10. Noor S, Salam FB, Hima HN, Bhuiyan MS, Chowdhury S. Comparative in-vitro quality evaluation of some brands of Metronidazole tablet available in Bangladesh. Int J Appl Res. 2017; 3:753-8.
11. Thangamani A, Anton Smith A, Vedhapriya B. Development of analytical method for metoclopramide using uv-spectrophotometry. IJPCBS. 2014;4(3):551-5.
12. Jung-Cook H, Mayet-Cruz L, Girard-Cuesy ME. Comparative in vitro dissolution and in vivo bioavailability of commercial amlodipine tablets. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2018 Oct 3;17(9):1685-91.
13. Noor S, Salam FB, Hima HN, Bhuiyan MS, Chowdhury S. Comparative in-vitro quality evaluation of some brands of Metronidazole tablet available in Bangladesh. Int J Appl Res. 2017;3:753-8.
14. Joda AE, Tayo F, Aina BA. Quality assessment of ciprofloxacin tablets obtained from community pharmacies in Lagos, Nigeria. Ife Journal of Science. 2018;20(1):155-68.
15. Alsaifi A, Alyahawi A. Quality assessment of different brands of paracetamol tablets in Yemeni market. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2018;3(4):39-43.
16. Grdešič P, Vrečer F, Ilić I.. Flow and compaction properties of hypromellose: new directly compressible versus the established grades. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2016;42(11):1877-86.
17. Shah RB, Tawakkul MA, Khan MA. Comparative evaluation of flow for pharmaceutical powders and granules. Aaps Pharmscitech. 2008;9(1):250-8.
18. Alyahawi A, Abdulmajed A. Quality control assessment of different brands of ciprofloxacin 500 mg tablets in Yemen. Univ J Pharm Res. 2018;3(4):31-6.
19. Othman GQ. Quality assessment of seven brands of albendazole tablets marketed in Yemen. Yemeni Journal for Medical Sciences. 2017;11(1):46-52.
20. Igboasoiyi AC, Offor AC, Egeolu AP. Quality assessment of various brands of ciprofloxacin hydrochloride tablets sold in Uyo Metropolis. Nigerian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Applied Science Research. 2018;7(2):89-93.
21. Osonwa UE, Abali SO, Chukwu KI. Quality assessment of fifteen different brands of ciprofloxacin hydrochloride tablets marketed in Anambra State. Nigeria. Afr J Pharm Res Develop. 2016; 8:1-8.
22. FDA U. Guidance for industry: dissolution testing of immediate-release solid oral dosage forms. Food and Drug Administration Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), USA; 1997.
23. Rahman MM, Jahan FI, Fahim NF, Paul N, Jahan N, Harun-Or-Rashid M, Tanny SZ. In vitro comparative quality evaluation of leading brands of metronidazole tablets available in Bangladesh. In vitro. 2020; 2:63-72.
24. SARKER MR, DEB AK, CHOWDHURY M, HOSSAIN MI. Investigation and evaluation of the quality features related to comfort of casual shoes in Bangladeshi leading retail brands using physical and chemical standard test methods. Revista de Pielarie Incaltaminte. 2019;19(1):11.